Monday, March 17, 2008

Luck O' the Japanese?

My unfortunate St. Patty's Day...

After a long incredible wedding weekend with friends and family, I returned to the city late last night only to enter into a bustling Monday back to reality. I found myself wrestling the Saint Patrick's Day parade leaving work uptown, rather than joining in the festivities. With no time for meal preparations for the holiday and a cold that I brought back with me from the weekend, the only green drink I was craving tonight was green tea.  Hey, the Japanese celebrate the Irish! Heck, isn't everyone Irish on March 17th? So I picked up some green seaweed salad from Lobster Place on my way home that perfectly complimented my warm cup of miso soup. I do have to say that it was quite satisfying. And healthful! Perhaps it wasn't so unlucky after all.

Miso Soup

4 ounces vegetable stock
4 ounces yellow miso
2 ounces low-fat firm tofu, diced
2 scallions, sliced

Bring the vegetable stock to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.  Add miso and stir until heated. Pour into a bowl and add desired amount of tofu and sliced scallions. Serve immediately. 

 A common stylisation of Erin Go Bragh, in a pseudo-Celtic font.


No comments:

Post a Comment